Friday, September 28, 2012

Vegetable broth (bouillon)


What a grey morning was yesterday, very depressing, cold and rainy. The best time to prepare some fresh ingredients and in the afternoon I made a big pan of vegetable broth.
We are all very much use to use those “bouillon” tablets for everything, just to give extra taste to meals or to cook some rice or pasta or … But what we should think is that those tablets are full of chemic stuff, except if you use organic ones, if you look careful in well assorted supermarkets you can find them or you need to go to organic shops. The other option is to make it yourself and when you do, make enough to freeze, then you will have for some time.
What I do is I keep some of left over vegetables in my fridge, like the green part of a leek that you didn’t use. Or when you buy celery, you don’t actually need all for your meal so keep it. Ok my ingredients: leek, celery, tomatoes, carrots, onions, some times also garlic and some fresh species like thyme, parsley, laurel. You add the water, in my case yesterday I put almost 4 liters water. And then you let it cook for about 2 hours, very slowly, all ingredients will mix together and the hole house will smell delicious.
I freeze them in 550 ml portions, yesterday I did 4 portions. The rest I use it for my dinner. From the 4 liters water I had about 3.2 liters broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment