Monday, December 10, 2012

Beef Stew

For my birthday I got a very nice Tagine, I was very happy although that I didn’t have much space in the kitchen to keep it. Well I guess now I will not have that problem anymore ;-)Yesterday I was planning to make moroccan beef using my tagine. So I put it in the fire with some oil, when start to warm up I put the beef, but then the tagine broke in two, you can see in the picture …



Well of course we still had the meal we were planning only I had to use another pan, suitable for stew. Lucky me I have enough tools in my kitchen …
The first think you need to do is one day in advanced (overnight) mix the beef with the spices: salt, pepper, ras el hanout spice mix, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, ground ginger and sweet paprika. Cover with clingfilm and into the refrigerator. The next day just one hour before you are going to start cooking, take out the meat, needs to be in room temperature.
The ingredients you need are besides de beef, onion, chickpeas, tin of chopped tomatoes, fresh coriander, vegetable stock (bouillon), squash or pumpkin (I used pumpkin yesterday), prunes and flaked almonds.
I used a casserole in the end but of course if you have a tagine that works you should use it. Put some olive oil in the pan and when is hot add the spiced beef, cook for about 5 minutes and add the chopped onion and some coriander, bake another 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, chickpeas and about 400 ml of the stock. When start boiling, cover the pan and in a very low fire cook for 1 and half hours, every now and then stir a bit.
When is time add the squash or pumpkin (cut in 5 cm chunks), the prunes and another 400 ml stock. Stir well and when starts boiling cover again and in a very low fire cook for another 1 and half hours. Keep an eye and stir every now and then.
The stew shouldn’t be to runny, so you might need to keep it a bit longer. Serve with some more coriander and couscous. It is absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment