Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ratatouille with couscous and steak

Almost a week ago since I wrote a post in my blog. I have been so busy lately that I didn't have time, but yesterday we had such a good dinner that I have write down about it. As I already mention in earlier posts I have a few cooking books at home, one of them is "Jaime in 15 minutes", there is where this recipe comes from, only it didn't take 15 minutes ;-S

The original recipe was with rice, but I have changed that to couscous, since we already had some paella on saturday (if you want to see the paella recipe you can read in one of my older posts, just click in this link PAELLA) Also in the ratatouille I haven't use all the ingredients from the book, jus the ones I like.

My ingredients for 2 adults and 1 child:

  • 1 courgette in 1 cm dices
  • 2 paprika's (1 red, 1 yellow) in dices
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 teaspoon harissa
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 500 gr. passata
  • 1 teaspoon balsamico vinegar
  • Basil and some yogurt 
  • 210 gr. couscous
  • 500 ml vegetable stock
  • Saffron
  • 2 sirloin steaks (about 200 gr. each)
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
  • Parsley
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 lemon
To make the ratatouille bake first the courgette in a grill pan for a few minutes. In a casserole with some olive oil bake the paprika's and red onion with the harissa, add the garlic and bake about 5 minutes. Then add the courgette, passata, vinegar and a bit of salt, with the cover on leave slowly to cook.

To prepare the couscous, just add some saffron to the boiling stock (bouillon), add the couscous and leave covered for about 5 minutes, stir with a fork to mix well. 

For the steaks, make sure that there is no fat around. Rub the steaks with salt, sweet paprika powder and some olive oil. Bake them on the grill pan, so long as you prefer, about 4 to 5 minutes in total is the ideal timing. Meanwhile in a surface, mix the chopped parsley with the mustard, extra verge olive oil and the juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper. Once the steaks are ready rub them in the dressing and cut them in pieces.

Serve all together with some basil and yogurt. It is absolutely delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment